18 October 2011

On Time

I haven't posted here since May. I've wanted to. Several drafts on various topics exist, along with notes typed hurriedly on my phone or scribbled on various scraps of paper. The ideas are there. The desire is there. The time is not.

For me intentions and follow-through exist on different planes...or in different dimensions. Occasionally one will jump through a wormhole and they inexplicably line up. 
I have way too many ideas, over-commit to others, and then run out of time and/or physical endurance. With the alacrity of Superwoman, a desire to help on par with Mother Teresa's and the time management skills of daVinci (very bad, so i'm told) i say, "I'll do it!"...then don't.
Though DaVinci has been labeled a procrastinator, he was always doing something, like "doodling." Here is an example of this "doodling" habit of his.


Perhaps he wasn't as much of a procrastinator as he was just bad at time management. I like to think i share some traits with geniuses, so we'll go with that.
It is important (to me) to distinguish between a procrastinator and a poor manager of time. When "a person" is categorized as the first, she feels like a sloth. And to a large degree, she probably is. (High school me = procrastinator.) When "a person" doesn't organize her time well, it doesn't mean she is lazy. It means she has too much to do. She probably
  • is not organized enough (where did that horse go?)
  • has trouble prioritizing (should i find that horse or just work with a different one? what about the llamas?) 
  • sets unrealistic goals (i'm gonna work 10 horses, shear some llamas, blog, edit 1,000,000 pictures and build a barn - today.) 
  • has no one to whom she can delegate work (i'm going to do all of the aforementioned tasks by myself.) 
  • does not pay close enough attention to time spent on tasks (what? lunch time already? i'm still having my coffee...which i started drinking at 8.) 
  • does not prevent burnout (yes, i have a social life - it's called facebook.) 
Since i don't procrastinate i have no time to do silly things that would improve the content of this post...like drawing a Vitruvian Llama. I did, however, google it.


Turns out someone has that kinda time. So maybe i'm okay at prioritizing (sorta) and delegating (with my mind, like a Jedi), which i'll take as a sign of hope.
Conclusion: i shall start posting in a consistent and timely manner. I'll let you know what that is after i've set some goals - realistic ones, of course.
(Go ahead and check back often.)

PS. A few people have asked about the second part of the post about the llama (or as one person said, "the story about the ostrich"). I decided to save the rest of that story for my book. There are a couple reasons for this.
  1. I want to keep some of the more insane incredible material a surprise as a means of enticing people to read said book. 
  2. It's not a happy memory.
  3. I don't want to end up on PETA's hit list.